Graham Stuart Thomas
A Life in the Garden
Today is the birthday of Graham Stuart Thomas.
GST was fundamentally a nurseryman and he lived a life fully immersed in the garden. His passion was sparked at a young age by a special birthday present he was given when he turned six: a beautiful potted fuchsia.
In 2003. his gardening outfit - including his pants, vest, and shoes - as well as a variety of his tools (including plant markers and a watering can) were donated to the Garden Museum.
GST was best known for his work with garden roses and his leadership of over 100 National Trust gardens. He wrote 19 books on gardening. Ever the purposeful perfectionist, he never wasted a moment.
What do folks have to say about GST on social media? Here’s a sampling:
- Pachysandra ground cover - A GST classic!
- My mom gave me a Graham Stuart Thomas for my first gardening book, so very special
- Our best selling plant of 2015? At number 1 (drum roll) - Eryngium Graham Stuart Thomas.
- Flower spike on yucca in a border. GST used them as punctuation marks in design.
- Love being married to someone who knows what I mean when I say, “Bring me Graham Stuart Thomas"
Leave a Comment